Introducing Ross Wellington.
My husband, Mark (aka MVH), and his longtime friend, Brian Ellis, have been working on a graphic novel called "Ross Wellington" since 2004. Ross Wellington is the lone alien survivor of the Roswell crash, and he makes a living as a private detective.
The story is sci-fi meets noir, and it never takes itself seriously (if you knew Mark and Brian, you probably wouldn't take them seriously either — ha ha, just kidding, guys!). If you like "The Adventures of Brisco County Junior," ridiculous episodes of "The X-Files," and "Big Trouble in Little China," then you probably will like Ross.
I'm letting you know about this excellent comic for a few reasons:
- The final book of the free, four-issue run is out now. Click here to check out No. 4!
- Missed the other issues? Read 'em right here for free. Please note they're listed newest to oldest.
- Did I mention these are FREE to read?
- Ross has been getting great press! Click here for Ross in the news. Ain't It Cool News (which is a pretty big online outfit in movie and comic reviews) gave Issue 4 a glowing review, which included the line, "Ross isn’t some animated space man saving the day, he’s a fully realized character." Click here to read the full review. (It's the second of two Indie Jones critiques.)
- One of the creators (not Ellis) is the father of my baby.
- There are EIGHT more issues floating around the brains of MVH and Mr. Ellis. EIGHT! Unfortunately, if they can't find a publisher, the issues likely never will get an audience outside of me, Paul, and Brian's nearest and dearest. We want to share this tale with as many people as we can! In short, the more people we get to check out Ross, the story's chances for publication improve!
- I'm so proud of the work that Mark and Brian have done on Ross. I don't know a lot about graphic novels, but based on the feedback they've received from people in the know, Ross is really good — better than most comics out there. Mark is an awesome storyteller, and Brian's artwork is crazy amazing.
Here's a plea from me to you: if you know someone who likes comics, direct them to Ross. We need your support, and you won't be disappointed! If you know someone who could help get Ross published — literary agent, Stan Lee, etc. — please let me know.
It's not a sewing or a cooking project or decorations for a baby's room, but Ross has been a fixture at VHHQ for years, and Mark's creative impulse has been extremely inspirational to me.
Learn more about Ross Wellington at rosswellington.com, and "Like" him on Facebook at facebook.com/rosswellington1947. The four comic books can be found at issuu.com/rosswellington.
Labels: comic book, graphic novel, MVH, Ross Wellington, What They Made