Done and Done: Smock for a little one

The surprise sewing project is a smock! Click on image for greater detail.

Any chance you guessed I was making the Swing Swing Smock from "Bend-the-Rules Sewing"? That's what I sewed for my little pal, F, daughter of my longtime pal, Lori O'Neil, who blogs over at Imperfectly Living.

F shows off her new reversible apron. Photos via the O'Neils.

F likes to help her mom, dad, and grandparents in the kitchen, but the poor kid didn't have an apron. Can you imagine? Seeing an opportunity to aid a friend in need, I whipped up this smock. It took me about four hours over three days, and it was really easy. It's also one of my favorite projects to date! I am tickled with how it turned out, and, most importantly, F is very excited about it. (Her parents tell me she doesn't like to take it off, and if that's not a success, I don't know what is.)

The two sides have contrasting pockets, and the shoulder seams reveal the print on the other side. Click on image for greater detail.

Following are notes on the smock:

F is put to work. Worry not: her parents adhere to all child labor laws. (Actually, she's a very tidy person who likes to put things away. A girl after my own heart!) Photo via the O'Neils.

What's your favorite sewing project for a youngster? Can you suggest books about sewing for kids, especially boys? (I feel like there are a bunch with projects for girls.) Share, please!

For your daily dose of adorable, F gives Paul a kiss!

P.S. You can check out more projects from "Bend-the-Rules Sewing" at the book's Flickr group.

Labels: , , ,